Have a question about Adoption Awareness Month? Ask us! Talk to us now using our online live chat.
Adoption Awareness Month
November is Adoption Awareness Month! Help celebrate adoptive families and create awareness for adoption in Canada through the following activities this month.
There are 700 children and youth in BC waiting for a family that fits—could you be that one of those families?
Adoption Awareness Month takes place every November in BC to draw attention to the number of children and teens who are waiting for permanent homes through adoption, guardianship, or a kinship placement. Families in BC adopted over 1,400 kids from government care in the past five years, but 700 children and youth currently have adoption in their care plans.
Successful adoption matches are based on the best fit for the child. That means that some adoptive families will be matched quickly, while others will wait longer. The greatest need is for adopters who are:
- open to adopting siblings;
- open to adopting a teenager; and/or
- open to adopting children with special needs (such as early abuse or neglect, behavioural challenges, learning disabilities, Autism Spectrum Disorder, or Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder).
As of November 19, 2020 all of our in-person photo events have been postponed due to the new BC Government province-wide COVID-19 restrictions. If you have registered for an event, you will receive an email letting you know. Please reply to this email so we know you have seen it! Thank you for understanding.
Take part in one of many events this month, both in-person (social distancing friendly!) and online, that celebrate adoptive families! Have some fun at a family event, learn about the adoption process, and more!
Wednesday, November 4, 12pm—Adoption Awareness Month Facebook Live Family Support Workers Brandi and Lucy will be talking about our Adoption Awareness Month plans and the kids waiting for adoption in BC.
**POSTPONED until further notice: Email Angie for more info.** Saturday, November 7, 11am -2pm—Parkville Adoption Month Family Photo Sessions Adoption Awareness Month in Parksville! Come down to Rathtrevor Park and get your family photos done with Katey Pedersen Photography! Registration is required.
Sunday, November 8, 2pm—Storytime with adoptive families Bring your kiddos online for a few adoption-related stories to celebrate Adoption Awareness Month! There are prizes to be won, including two $25 gift cards to Mastermind Toys and Starbucks for the parents!
Sunday, November 8, 2 - 5pm—Peace Region Adoption Month photo sessions Come on down to Peace Island Park and get your (free) family photos done! Registration is required.
Sunday, November 8, 3 - 5pm—Campbell River Adoption Month Family Photo Sessions Bring your family for photos in Campbell River in celebration of Adoption Awareness Month! Photography by Ashley Kendrick Photography. Registration is required.
Saturday, November 14, 2 - 4pm—Merritt Adoption Month Family Photo Sessions Bring your family for photos in Merritt in celebration of Adoption Awareness Month. Registration is required.
Sunday, November 15, 1 - 3pm—Nelson Adoption Month Family Photo Sessions Adoption Awareness Month Family Photos in Nelson! Come on down and get your family photos done with the talented Katie Kershaw Photography! Registration is required.
Sunday, November 15, 1:30 - 4:30pm—Vernon and Salmon Arm Adoption Month Family Photos Come on down to Belvidere Park in scenic downtown Enderby to get your family photos done with Alpine WildBloom Images! Registration is required.
POSTPONED: All photo events from November 19 to November 30.
Tuesday, November 24, 7-8:30pm—Adopt BC Kids Town Hall with MCFD Join MCFD and AFABC for a special virtual Town Hall presentation in celebration of Adoption Awareness Month! Pre-register to be sent the event link and event reminders.
Throughout Adoption Awareness Month, we're offering all of our on-demand webinars for free for EVERYONE! Join adoption experts to discuss topics related to adoption and fostering such as attachment, success at school, openness, infertility, special needs, and more. Our Adoption & Permanency Learning webinars offer guidance, tips, and resources to help you and your family navigate the many stages of adoption and beyond. Click here to learn more about on-demand webinars!
If you're new to adoption, understand eligibility requirements and the adoption process with Adoption Basics. Learn more to start your adoption journey.
Help us help kids! We need your help to provide necessary adoption support and education to families and kids in your community. Get a charity tax receipt for donations over $20. Donate online now!
Spreading the word about adoption is easier than you think! Help us raise awareness about adoption, adoptive families, and waiting children and youth by reaching out to your community.
- #AdoptionAwarenessMonth. Facebook it, tweet it, Instagram it, pin it - use your social media networks to spread the love! Don't forget to follow us @BCAdopt on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter for more ideas.
- #FamilyThatFits. Share photos of your #FamilyThatFits on your own social media channels and be sure to tag us! We love to see your family photos.
- Email it. Put a short message about Adoption Awareness Month in your email signature. Subscribe to our e-newsletter for the latest news about the adoption community that you can pass along to family and friends.
- Share it. Organize a presentation on adoption or your own story at your work/school/mall/community centre. Ask your workplace/school/church/club/union/rec centre if you can place a short article or small ad about adoption and waiting children in its newsletter or on a bulletin board. We can provide you with an ad or article. Or better yet, use your own personal story—nothing promotes adoption like real family experience!
- Write it. Send a letter to the editor of a local newspaper or the producer of a radio program/TV talk show and encourage them to cover a story on adoption. Or, thank them for an adoption story they’ve already done.
With over 700 children and youth in BC looking for a forever family, you can make a difference.
- Donate to AFABC and help us continue to provide programs and services in your community for families and kids! Your donation also helps us create new programs. Donate online now!
- Volunteer with AFABC! Share your time with us by helping out with workshops or family events, help other parents by providing peer support or running a support group, lend your skills to our youth group, or just provide general volunteering time! Learn more about volunteering.
- Become an AFABC member to support the adoption community. Our diverse community of adoptive parents, adoptees, birth families, adoption professionals, and community partners help us make a difference for children and youth. Learn more about membership.
Celebrate adoptive families by attending one of the many events happening in BC!
Help Us Help Kids
Donate today and help us help the over 1,000 kids in BC waiting for a family.