Have a question about Adoption Awareness Month? Ask us! Talk to us now using our online live chat.
Adoption Awareness Month
November is Adoption Awareness Month! Help celebrate adoptive families and create awareness for adoption in Canada through the following activities this month.
This November several British Columbia landmarks will "go green" for adoption! They illuminate the message that adoptive families make great families. Thank you to the following:
All of November
- City of Burnaby (corner of Lougheed Hwy and Gaglardi Way)
Friday, November 9
- BC Legislature
- BC Place
- City of Port Coquitlam (City Hall)
- Canada Place
- Science World
- Vancouver City Hall
- Vancouver Convention Centre
- Fort St John Pomeroy Centre
- Mr PG in Prince George (until Nov 19)
- Steamship Terminal in Victoria (until Nov 11)
Friday, November 16
- City of Coquitlam (City Hall, Lafarge Lake Fountains, Pinetree Way Skytrain Pillars)
- Royal BC Museum
Thank you to the City of Burnaby, the Corporation of the District of Saanich, and the Corporation of the District of Oak Bay for their proclamations!
Take part in one of many other events across BC that celebrate adoptive families! Have some fun at a family event, learn about the adoption process, and more!
November: City of Burnaby goes green for adoption
November 1: Flipping for Adoption (Parksville)
November 3: Okanagan Adoption Awareness Month Celebration (Kelowna)
November 4: Family Fun Day (Burnaby)
November 6: Courtenay & Campbell River Coffee Group (Courtenay)
November 9: BC Legislature, BC Place, City of Port Coquitlam, Canada Place, Science World, Vancouver City Hall, Fort St John Pomeroy Centre, and Mr PG in Prince George go green for adoption
November 10: Tumbling for Adoption (Port Alberni)
November 13: Nanaimo Drop-In Coffee Group (Nanaimo), Second Annual “Laugh a Minute” challenge fundraiser with Vancouver Theatresports Improv Comedy (Vancouver)
November 15: North Okanagan Drop-In Coffee Group (Vernon)
November 16: City of Coquitlam and the Royal BC Museum go green for adoption
November 16-18: Camp Homewood (Quadra Island)
November 17: Kamloops Adoption Awareness Month Celebration (Kamloops)
November 19: Prince George "Instant Family" Screening (Prince George)
November 20: Parksville & Qualicum Coffee Group (Parksville)
November 21: Adopt BC Kids Info Session (Surrey)
November 24: Fort St. John "Instant Family" Screening (Fort St John)
November 25: Swimming for Adoption (Ladysmith)
November 28: Adopt BC Kids Info Session (Victoria)
November 30: Port Alberni Drop-in Coffee Group (Port Alberni)
Throughout Adoption Awareness Month, we're offering all of our on-demand webinars for free for AFABC members! Join adoption experts to discuss topics related to adoption and fostering such as attachment, success at school, openness, infertility, special needs, and more. Our Adoption & Permanency Learning webinars offer guidance, tips, and resources to help you and your family navigate the many stages of adoption and beyond. Click here to learn more about on-demand webinars!
If you're new to adoption, understand eligibility requirements and the adoption process with Adoption Basics. Learn more to start your adoption journey.
Help us help kids! We need your help to provide necessary adoption support and education to families and kids in your community. Get a charity tax receipt for donations over $20. Donate online now!
Spreading the word about adoption is easier than you think! Help us raise awareness about adoption, adoptive families, and waiting children and youth by reaching out to your community.
- #FamilyEverybodyNeedsOne. Facebook it, tweet it, instagram it, vine it, pin it - use your social media networks to spread the love! Don't forget to follow us on your favourite social media platform for more ideas.
- Email it. Put a short message about Adoption Awareness Month in your email signature. Subscribe to our e-newsletter for the latest news about the adoption community that you can pass along to family and friends.
- Screen it. Borrow a great adoption-related video from our librarythat you can screen for your family or friends.
- Print it. Share our Celebrate Adoption! poster. Click on the link to download the poster, then share it on social media (upload it like you would a photograph). You can also print it out and display it in your community. Help us spread the facts about adoption in BC!
- Share it. Organize a presentation on adoption or your own story at your work/school/mall/community centre. Ask your workplace/school/church/club/union/rec centre if you can place a short article or small ad about adoption and waiting children in its newsletter or on a bulletin board. We can provide you with an ad or article. Or better yet, use your own personal story—nothing promotes adoption like real family experience!
- Write it. Send a letter to the editor of a local newspaper or the producer of a radio program/TV talk show and encourage them to cover a story on adoption. Or, thank them for an adoption story they’ve already done.
With over 1,000 children and youth in BC looking for a forever family, you can make a differene..
- Volunteer with AFABC! Share your time with us by helping out with workshops or family events, help other parents by providing peer support or running a support group, lend your skills to our youth group, or just provide general volunteering time! Learn more about volunteering.
- Become an AFABC member to support the adoption community. Our diverse community of adoptive parents, adoptees, birth families, adoption professionals, and community partners help us make a difference for children and youth. Learn more about membership.
- Donate to AFABC and help us continue to provide programs and services in your community for families and kids! Your donation also helps us create new programs. Donate online now!
Celebrate adoptive families by attending one of the many events happening in BC!
Help Us Help Kids
Donate today and help us help the over 1,000 kids in BC waiting for a family.