Have a question about Adoption Awareness Month? Ask us! Talk to us now using our online live chat.
Adoption Awareness Month
November is Adoption Awareness Month! Help celebrate adoptive families and create awareness for adoption in Canada through the following activities this month.
This November landmarks across British Columbia will #LightUpForAdoption! They illuminate the message that adoptive families make great families. Don't forget to snap pictures and share with the #LightUpForAdoption hashtag! Thank you to the following:
Friday, November 1:
- Nanaimo Bastion
Thursday, November 7:
- Royal BC Museum
- Trail Victoria Street Bridge
Saturday, November 9:
- Anvil Centre
- BC Legislature
- BC Place
- Canada Place
- City of Coquitlam
- City of Port Coquitlam (City Hall)
- City of Quesnel Foot Bridge
- Fort St John Pomeroy Centre
- Grand Villa Casino
- Rogers Arena
- Science World
- Surrey Civic Plaza
- Vancouver City Hall
- Vancouver Convention Centre
- Whistler Fitzsimmons Bridge
Tuesday, November 12
- City of Parksville
Thank you to the province of British Columbia, the City of Vancouver, the City of Burnaby, the City of Prince George, the City of Parksville, the City of Nanaimo and the City of Duncan for their proclamations!
Take part in one of many other events across BC that celebrate adoptive families! Have some fun at a family event, learn about the adoption process, and more!
November 1: Nanaimo Bastion starts off our #LightUpForAdoption campaign
November 1: Flipping for Adoption (Parksville)
November 2: Tumbling for Adoption (Port Alberni)
November 3: Adoptive Families Pool Party (Vancouver)
November 3: Adoption Awareness Family Event (Kelowna)
November 6: Let's do lunch (Vernon)
November 6: Potluck and Visit (Vernon)
November 7: Adopt BC Kids Information Session (Victoria)
November 7: Royal BC Museum and Trail Victoria Street Bridge #LightUpForAdoption
November 8: Indigenous cultural day (Nelson)
November 9: Landmarks across BC #LightUpForAdoption
November 9: Adoption Awareness Month Celebration! (Nelson)
November 10: Trauma Informed Parenting Online Workshop (Online)
November 13: AAM After School Family Skate (Terrace)
November 16: Swimming for Adoption (Ladysmith)
November 16: Sunshine Coast Adoptive Families Skating Event (Gibsons)
November 20: Adoptive Families Group (Vernon)
November 21: Adopt BC Kids Free Information Session (Vancouver)
November 24: AAM Family Skate and Potluck (Fort St John)
November 25: Adotpion Awareness Month Procolmation at City Hall. 3:30pm (Fort St John)
November 28: Magical Arts and Adoption Event (Burnaby)
November 28: Waiting Parents Voluntold Opportunity (Burnaby)
Throughout Adoption Awareness Month, we're offering all of our on-demand webinars for free for EVERYONE! Join adoption experts to discuss topics related to adoption and fostering such as attachment, success at school, openness, infertility, special needs, and more. Our Adoption & Permanency Learning webinars offer guidance, tips, and resources to help you and your family navigate the many stages of adoption and beyond. Click here to learn more about on-demand webinars!
If you're new to adoption, understand eligibility requirements and the adoption process with Adoption Basics. Learn more to start your adoption journey.
Help us help kids! We need your help to provide necessary adoption support and education to families and kids in your community. Get a charity tax receipt for donations over $20. Donate online now!
Spreading the word about adoption is easier than you think! Help us raise awareness about adoption, adoptive families, and waiting children and youth by reaching out to your community.
- #AdoptionAwarenessMonth. Facebook it, tweet it, instagram it, pin it - use your social media networks to spread the love! Don't forget to follow us @BCAdopt on Facebook, Instgram & Twitter for more ideas.
- #LightUpForAdoption. If you snap any pictures of landmarks lit up green, use the #LightUpForAdoption hashtag to share!
- Email it. Put a short message about Adoption Awareness Month in your email signature. Subscribe to our e-newsletter for the latest news about the adoption community that you can pass along to family and friends.
- Share it. Organize a presentation on adoption or your own story at your work/school/mall/community centre. Ask your workplace/school/church/club/union/rec centre if you can place a short article or small ad about adoption and waiting children in its newsletter or on a bulletin board. We can provide you with an ad or article. Or better yet, use your own personal story—nothing promotes adoption like real family experience!
- Write it. Send a letter to the editor of a local newspaper or the producer of a radio program/TV talk show and encourage them to cover a story on adoption. Or, thank them for an adoption story they’ve already done.
With over 1,000 children and youth in BC looking for a forever family, you can make a difference.
- Volunteer with AFABC! Share your time with us by helping out with workshops or family events, help other parents by providing peer support or running a support group, lend your skills to our youth group, or just provide general volunteering time! Learn more about volunteering.
- Become an AFABC member to support the adoption community. Our diverse community of adoptive parents, adoptees, birth families, adoption professionals, and community partners help us make a difference for children and youth. Learn more about membership.
- Donate to AFABC and help us continue to provide programs and services in your community for families and kids! Your donation also helps us create new programs. Donate online now!
Celebrate adoptive families by attending one of the many events happening in BC!
Help Us Help Kids
Donate today and help us help the over 1,000 kids in BC waiting for a family.