Support the bursary program by donating to the Howard Legacy Youth Fund.
The intention of our bursaries is to provide funding that will assist in covering costs of tuition and/or costs directly related to the post-secondary programs.
The Howard Legacy Youth Fund (two $2,000 bursaries awarded annually) was established with a donation from Peggy Howard in 2012 and is made available to applicants who are current or former youth in government (foster) care. Read more about the HLYF and Peggy Howard or make a donation to the fund here.
*Please note: to be eligible for the Howard Legacy Youth Fund, bursary applicants must have experienced foster care for a minimum of 12 cumulative months*
AFABC Youth Bursary (two $2,000 bursaries awarded annually) was established in 2014, with funding from the Adoptive Families Association of BC, and accepts applications from youth who have joined their family by legal adoption or other forms of permanency.
Applications for 2021 are now closed. Please check back in early 2022.
- All approved applications, (completed, meeting all eligibility requirements and submitted on time) will be forwarded for an initial screening process. The strongest applicants will be presented to the selection committee.
- Bursary applicants can apply for either (or both) AFABC bursary fund, but may only be chosen for one award per year.
- Previous AFABC bursary award recipients are permitted to re-apply in a new bursary year.
- All AFABC program clients are permitted to apply for either AFABC bursary.
- Current AFABC staff, board members, committee members, contractors and their respective children are not eligible to apply for either AFABC bursary.
- Former AFABC staff, board members, committee members, contractors and their respective children are eligible to apply for either AFABC bursary, 12 months after their organizational role has concluded.
Here's What Our Past Winners Say...
“It helped me be able to go to school full time so I will be able to achieve my dream career!”
- 2017 Howard Legacy Youth Fund Winner
“This bursary helped me get my foot in the door of the world of ECE [early-childhood education].”
- 2018 AFABC Youth Bursary Winner
“This Bursary will go a long way for me and the future of my family, it will allow me to focus on my school and be the first person in my family to pursue higher education."
- 2021 Howard Legacy Youth Fund Winner
Please see the application form for eligibility requirements for the bursary of your choice.
Have questions? Check out our frequently asked questions page
If you have any questions or need assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.