Support the bursary program by donating to the Howard Legacy Youth Fund.
AFABC’s bursary programs provide funding to assist youth in pursuing post-secondary education. Bursaries can be applied to tuition and related expenses, including living costs while studying.
The BC Orca Bursary Program was established this year by a generous group of philanthropists who want to provide financial and other support to current or former youth in government (foster) care who are pursuing post-secondary studies. Seventeen $3,000 bursaries will be awarded in 2022! Read more about the BC Orca Bursary Program here.
The Joy MacPhail Youth Bursary was established this year, with funding from the Face the World Foundation, to provide financial support for post-secondary studies to a young person who joined their family by legal adoption or other forms of permanency. One $3,000 bursary will be awarded annually from 2022-26.
Applications are now closed for 2022.
- All approved applications, (completed, meeting all eligibility requirements and submitted on time) will be forwarded for an initial screening process. The strongest applicants will be presented to the selection committee.
- Bursary applicants can apply for either (or both) AFABC bursary fund, but may only be chosen for one award per year.
- Previous AFABC bursary award recipients are permitted to re-apply in a new bursary year.
- All AFABC program clients are permitted to apply for either AFABC bursary.
- Current AFABC staff, board members, committee members, contractors and their respective children are not eligible to apply for either AFABC bursary.
- Former AFABC staff, board members, committee members, contractors and their respective children are eligible to apply for either AFABC bursary, 12 months after their organizational role has concluded.
Here's What Our Past Winners Say...
“It helped me be able to go to school full time so I will be able to achieve my dream career!”
- 2017 Howard Legacy Youth Fund Winner
“This bursary helped me get my foot in the door of the world of ECE [early-childhood education].”
- 2018 AFABC Youth Bursary Winner
“This Bursary will go a long way for me and the future of my family, it will allow me to focus on my school and be the first person in my family to pursue higher education."
- 2021 Howard Legacy Youth Fund Winner
Please see the application form for eligibility requirements for the bursary of your choice.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.