Other scholarships and bursaries
Many scholarship and bursaries are designed specifically for adoptees and former youth in care. There are also post secondary institutions in British Columbia that offer free or reduced tuition for former youth in care.
If you know of an adoption or fostering scholarship or bursary open to BC residents, or a post secondary institution that offers tuition waivers for youth in care, please let us know and we will add it to our list.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- AFABC: Howard Legacy Youth Fund- Bursaries available for youth in or from foster care.
- AFABC: Youth Bursary - Bursaries available for youth who have joined their family through legal adoption.
- BC Federation of Foster Parents - Offers several bursaries and a general scholarship fund. Most funds are for youth in or from care. There is one bursary for adopted or biological children of foster parents.
- Children's Aid Foundation - Offers support to youth in/from care anywhere in Canada.
- Federation of BC Youth in Care Networks: Dream Fund - Bursaries for youth in or from care interested in career training and/or education opportunities.
- Federation of Community Social Services of BC: Youth Education Bursary - For young people under 26 years who are or have been in care to pursue post-secondary education towards a career in the social services, health or education fields.
- Ministry of Advanced Education, Ministry of Children and Family Development, and The Victoria Foundation: Youth Education Assistance Fund - Grants available for former youth in care ages 19-24.
- Ministry of Children and Family Development: Agreements with Young Adults - A program for young adults who aged out of Ministry care who want to finish their education, get job training or take part in a rehabilitation program.
- Public Guardian and Trustee: PGT British Columbia Educational Assistance Fund - Bursaries of approximately $3,300 available to youth ages 19 and over who were in the permanent care of MCFD.
- Storwell Self Storage: Storwell Foster Children Bursary - Annual $2,000 bursary for youth who have been in foster care in Canada or the US.
- Youth in Care Canada: Ken Dryden Scholarship - Renewable scholarship of up to $3,000 for Canadian youth or former youth in care.
Post secondary tuition waivers
- The BCIT Youth in Care Skilled Trades Tuition Waiver Program - Provides up to five students, who grew up in the BC care system and are currently enrolled in, or students accepted to enter BCIT, in one of the top 10 skilled trades programs offered by BCIT with tuition waivers. Tuition waivers apply only towards the completion of a first certificate or diploma at BCIT.
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University - Support program for youth in/from care.
- Langara College - Offered as a four year pilot program. Bursaries are subject to available funds.
- Nicola Valley Institute of Technology - Open to both current and prospective students, across all programs/courses delivered at the NVIT Merritt or NVIT Vancouver Campus.
- Simon Fraser University Tuition Assistance Program - Open to youth in/from care in BC to assist in completing their first undergraduate degree.
- UBC OkanaganTuition Waiver Program for Former Youth in Care - This waiver covers full tuition for eligible student's undergraduate studies - residents of BC who are currently living in care or who have lived as a Youth in Care in BC.
- UNBC Youth in Care Tuition Waiver - These waivers are offered by UNBC to assist students who are current or former youth in care as defined by the Child, Family and Community Service Act. The waiver is intended to enable these students to begin and continue their studies at the University in a full-time program leading to their first undergraduate degree, diploma, or certificate. The waiver will cover the full cost of tuition.
- UVIC University of Victoria Youth In Care Award - Provides former foster children with an award to cover eight terms of funding or the completion of a first degree, whichever comes first. Applicants must be at least 19 years old, must be offered admission to UVic, demonstrate financial need, and be a former child in care in B.C. Up to five awards will be provided for each academic year.
- Vancouver Island University Youth in Care Tuition Waiver Program - Offers the Youth in Care Tuition Waiver Program to eligible students who have grown up in the care system in British Columbia.