Focus on Adoption magazine
More on these topics:
- Go on a date with your partner/friend.
- Can your kids go for a sleepover? You might find that you really miss them once they are away!
- Try to have a day of silence when the kids are out, or go for a brisk walk and work up a sweat.
- Buy a trashy magazine or rent a silly movie and escape from reality.
- Go out and indulge in some pampering, like a massage.
- Buy some lavender essential oil, sprinkle drops in your bath or on your bed sheets, and deeply inhale the relaxing scent.
- Yank out those weeds in your garden; grab 'em and pull, rip 'em out!
- Vent with and adoptive buddy parent.
- Write a "pretend" letter and go for it, get out all your grumbles--don't send it though; it's just for some release!
- Try yoga, tennis, jogging, pottery--whatever works, it's important to have some kind of outlet or interest, aside from your role as a parent.
- And finally, don't be afraid of real therapy. You don't have to be dysfunctional to go. Sometimes gaining some professional insight, validation, advice on parenting techniques, or support an education around our children's unique needs can be just what your whole family needs and will benefit from.